Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Aliens

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when I decided to hop on a plane and go to a country I knew nothing about. Or maybe I didn't know what to expect. Either way, after about a week, I believe it's safe to say this is nothing like what I expected. I find myself an alien in a strange land. It's difficult to describe what it's like to be in a place where you have no idea how to communicate with people around you. I literally can't understand anything I read or hear. Thus, any english I do encounter is a notable and wonderful event.

 We're told certain things to do or not do so as not to arouse suspicion of our strangeness, but every moment of our existence broadcasts our inability to belong. So we give up, and find sanctuary with other aliens. Every time we overhear another conversation in English, we are automatically drawn to its familiarity. I've met at least ten different groups or individuals who are either American or British tourists, backpackers, expats, or fellow students studying abroad with a different program. Through this we cocoon ourselves in familiarity. The further we are from home, the more we long for it. ...how meta.

 heh, I promise I'm not depressed. Will vlog soon!
Viszontlátásra!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment